Apprenticeship Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Regulations Rollout
2:00 PM ~ 3:00 PM ET
The Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration announced publication of a final rule to update the federal regulations for Equal Employment Opportunity in Apprenticeship (29 CFR part 30) on December 16, 2016.
The final rule is available at the Office of the Federal Register’s Web site.
The full text of the final rule and other information can be found on the Office of Apprenticeship’s (OA) website, see https://www.doleta.gov/oa/eeo/.
Some highlights of the final rule include the following:
- Streamlining and clarifying steps for employers and apprenticeship program sponsors;
- Expanding protection from discrimination to include a broader range of America’s workforce, including protections based on disability, age (40 or older), sexual orientation, and genetic information;
- Improving and clarifying the affirmative steps employers and sponsors must take to ensure equal opportunity in apprenticeship;
- Providing new apprenticeship programs with additional flexibility, including up to two years to develop initial affirmative action programs;
- Clarifying the outreach, recruitment, and retention activities expected of apprenticeship program sponsors by specifying common-sense required activities, such as developing a list of recruitment sources and providing those sources advance notice of apprenticeship openings; and -
- Allowing State Apprenticeship Agencies (SAAs) additional time to submit their State EEO plans to come into compliance with these regulations.
OA will host a webinar January 12, 2017, at 2 p.m. EST to discuss some of the high-level changes, provide some context for the need behind these revisions, and identify resources and materials to assist in implementing the updated rule. Join the webinar at the following link: https://www.workforcegps.org/events/2016/12/07/11/02/Apprenticeship-EEO-Regulations-Rollout
John Ladd, Administrator, U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration, Office of Apprenticeship
Lonnie Coleman, President, Coleman Spohn Corporation
You Might Also Like
- Leveraging Strategic Partnerships to Build Capacity Statewid...
- Apprenticeship Evolution Campaign Aims to Modernize Percepti...
- Registered Apprenticeship State Expansion Grantee Technical ...
- 21st Century Apprenticeship – An Avenue for Sustaining Your ...
- Apprenticeship: The Talent Development Solution for Sector S...