Being a Mentor Resources
January is National Mentoring Month to help promote youth mentoring in the United States. Today, one in three youth in America grow up without a mentor. For the disability population, it is estimated that students with disabilities are 50 percent more likely to be absent from school than those without disabilities and half of college graduates with a disability don’t have jobs or find fulfilling careers. Mentoring is one innovative solution to address these gaps as outlined below.
Mentoring can take on many forms. To celebrate National Mentoring Month focused on serving the disability population, more specialized resources have been compiled to increase awareness of its impact and the different technical assistance tools available to help bridge the mentoring gap.
Mentoring Toolkit Resources
- Career-Focused Mentoring for Youth- The What, Why, and How- An online resource fact sheet developed by ODEP on the significance of mentoring.
- Youth Connections Community of Practice Resources- Mentoring is one of the 14 program elements for the WIOA youth program. In support of WIOA, TA tools have been compiled by Youth Connections Community of Practice in WorkforceGPS.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Disability Mentoring Toolkit- Resource link to online mentoring toolkit established by United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in partnership with the National Disability Mentoring Coalition (NDMC) to support USDA and other agencies interested in leveraging mentoring to support the recruitment, placement, retention, and advancement of individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in the workforce.
- The Business Case for Employer Engagement in Youth Mentoring- Report released by MENTOR providing an overview of best practices for businesses looking to start a mentoring effort or enhance the results of an existing program.
- Mentoring Youth with Disabilities- ETA moderated a WorkforceGPS webinar on July 19, 2018 focused on addressing the following question: How can programs engage and be more responsive to youth with disabilities and what programmatic elements are needed?
- Our Journey Together TA Series: The Power of Relationships-Workplace Mentoring with Youth- ETA moderated a WorkforceGPS webinar on January 9, 2018 focused on providing an overview how top U.S. businesses collaborate with the public and nonprofit sectors to connect youth to transformative mentoring relationships within their communities.