January is National Mentoring Month. Just taking a moment out of your day throughout 2020 can positively impact our youth over the next decade. Today, one in three youth in America grow up without a mentor. For the disability population, it is estimated that students with disabilities are 50 percent more likely to be absent from school than those without disabilities. Specialized resources have been compiled by ETA to increase awareness and provide tools to help bridge the mentoring gap.
Mentoring Toolkit Resources
- Career-Focused Mentoring for Youth- The What, Why, and How- An online resource fact sheet developed by ODEP on the significance of mentoring.
- Youth Connections Community of Practice Resources- Mentoring is one of the 14 program elements for the WIOA youth program. In support of WIOA, TA tools have been compiled by Youth Connections Community of Practice in WorkforceGPS.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Disability Mentoring Toolkit- Resource link to online mentoring toolkit established by United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in partnership with the National Disability Mentoring Coalition (NDMC) to support USDA and other agencies interested in leveraging mentoring to support the recruitment, placement, retention, and advancement of individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in the workforce.
- The Business Case for Employer Engagement in Youth Mentoring- Report released by MENTOR providing an overview of best practices for businesses looking to start a mentoring effort or enhance the results of an existing program.
- The Workplace Mentoring Playbook – An updated edition report released by EARN offering strategies, tool and activities for employers and employees interested in establishing mentoring relationships.
- Mentoring Youth with Disabilities- ETA moderated a WorkforceGPS webinar on July 19, 2018 focused on addressing the following question: How can programs engage and be more responsive to youth with disabilities and what programmatic elements are needed?
- Our Journey Together TA Series: The Power of Relationships-Workplace Mentoring with Youth- ETA moderated a WorkforceGPS webinar on January 9, 2018 focused on providing an overview how top U.S. businesses collaborate with the public and nonprofit sectors to connect youth to transformative mentoring relationships within their communities.